Sunday 24 October 2010

One Page Horror

Here's a little something to celebrate my favourite holiday:

When the village of Haddonfield discovered that the wizard Langenkamp was engaged in dark magic, they raised a mob and burned down the old windmill in which he dwelled. With his dying words, Langenkamp laid a curse on the villagers who sought his doom, a curse which would have come to nothing had Cropsy, a young farm labourer, not sneaked into the mill for a nap and been caught in the conflagration. The death of an innocent provided the mystic fuel for the curse, and now the people of Haddonfield are trapped with no hope of rescue.

It's a short piece, based on the One Page Dungeon concept, so should be easy to slip into an existing game or to run as a one-shot for Halloween. It lacks system-specific rules, but there should be enough information to make generating appropriate statistics easy enough. The scenario is more or less setting neutral too, although a general mediaeval fantasy feel is implied -- and easily changed if desired. It's also packed full of shameful puns and references, as is usual for me.

You can download Horror Comes to Haddonfield here. If you do run it, let me know how it goes!

5 comments:

  1. I like it! (Oh the pleasure of being able to not only make up good adventures but then to illustrate them with nice looking maps!) It'd fit super easily into my campaign setting... I'll see if I can work it in at some point, I'll let you know if I run it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's completely untested, so I'll be interested to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya,

    I've recently developed an interest in D&D after being on a long flight listening to the adventures of Penny Arcade and PvP, I'm a long time video gamer and played warhammer 40k for a few years but never tried a game with more than 6 sides to the dice. I understand from the blog that you are actually just round the corner from where I live in seven dials and I would love to find out some more if possible. Only problem is that I work till 9pm on Thursdays and don't get home until 9:45pm, do you run on Mondays, Tuesdays or weekends?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I'm currently running your dungeon as a play by post as a playtest prior to running it in real life - I'll post the thread after it wraps up so you can see how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Alasdair, that's great to know. I look forward to seeing what you make of it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.